Sunday, May 30, 2010

Touring Bali - Part 2

...



Part 2 of our tour... As you probably know Blake does not care to shop... so most of the time when he agrees to go on a tour or trip like this we agree not to shop that much but that I have one desire... to get an oil painting from each place to we go... so we "needed" to get a painting today... Artin knew of the perfect place... and boy was she right.
Here are some nice men rolling up our painting...

Do you like? I really wanted it of the rice fields that we have yet to see but what Bali is so famous for... and I love that the volcano (that we were going to see later) and the water buffalo were in the picture... and Blake agreed on the price... when looking at paintings this man followed you around to tell you the price (no price on the paintings... of course)... and Artin told us to always cut the price in half from what they say... but we soon learned that if the painting had a "certificate" which was located near the painting... it was way out of price range... this one did not have a certificate but looked just like the one that did... so we are taking it home.

Next stop... rice field... but first Artin had to show us how they get the rice... I had no idea... how hard it was to get rice... I will from now on when cooking rice get every single grain of rice from the bowl... someone will eat it... the people who pick rice work way to hard for us to waste it...

Here are some locals tending to the field... is the man job to plant the grains/seeds and it is the women's job to harvest it... there is alot of stooping, bending, hitting, cutting and more involved to get these grains of rice... incredible.


A little further down the road we finally made it to the famous rice terrace... isn't that beautiful.


On the way back to the car... there was this cute little boy picking out something from his dog's paw... they are true companions... so cute.. I am a sucker for children and dogs so I had to take this picture.

It took about 3.5 hours to make it to the north of the island... but we did and boy was it worth it... we had not originally planned on going to one of the Volcano's but I am glad we changed our minds... beautiful. This Volcano is not the largest one they have but it is active we are taking this picture sitting at a restaurant... a lunch I will forever remember.


Here is a video of the Volcano (it's not doing anything but Artin is explaining some details that are interesting).













We hope you enjoyed Part 2 of Day 2... only one more part and then we are headed back home to Singapore... What a great Anniversary...

3 comments:

Denton Family said...

Looks like a wonderful vacation for you two and we know you make the most of every moment....no naping for you!
Love love

Melanie said...

I LOVE that picture. Looks like I would enjoy shopping htere. Maybe you and I should travel together :-) The fields are breathtaking too and you two look wonderful!

Jones Family said...

I'm sooo envious of your travels. I just got teary-eyed thinking of all the amazing experiences your family has had through your adventures abroad. I'm soooo proud of you! I'm so proud for all of the exposure and culture Pierce has had at such a young age. And I'm proud of you and Blake for letting this experience draw the two of you even closer together. Happy Anniversary to a couple I will forever adore!

 

Designed by Fabulous K